Killoe reach U-21 ‘A’ Final

Source: Longford Leader

Killoe were ruthless and clinical as they reached the Under 21 ‘A’ Football Championship Final for the fourth year in a row with a comprehensive win over Carrickedmond/Legan at Keenan Park, Ardagh on Sunday last.

This game was all over at half-time with rampant Killoe 18 points ahead thanks to five first half goals. They stunned their opponents but credit to Carrickedmond/Legan they never gave up and after scoring just one point in the first half, they registered 1-7 on the changeover.

It took a while for Killoe to get into their stride in this game despite their dominance from early on and it wasn’t until the quarter hour mark that they started to get scores. Their first goal came in the 17th minute through Seamus McCormack to put them ahead by four points.

That lead was extended further one minute later when Larry Moran scored a fantastic goal and he was instrumental in their third goal; finding Liam Hughes who passed to Paddy Thompson and he made no mistake. Carrickedmond/Legan were struggling badly and in the 25th minute they gave away possession which Killoe got their fourth goal from; a beautiful kick pass from Paddy Kiernan to Larry Moran was finished to the net by the lethal corner-forward.

Killoe didn’t let up and in the 27th minute Darren Kelly got their fifth goal after a lovely ball in by Seamus McCormack. Things got worse for Carrickedmond/Legan in the 28th minute when their goalkeeper Garret Higgins was forced to retire as he had been struggling with an injury from the start. David Shannon moved from full-forward to take over in goals.

Just before the break Killoe added on two points to stretch their advantage to 18 points; 5-4 to 0-1.

It took Emmet Og less than one minute to get their opening score of the second half; Larry Moran fisting the ball over the bar. Then after 27 minutes without a score Carrickedmond/Legan got their second point of the game through Sean Kelly.

Ciaran Donohoe fired over a neat point for Killoe before Carrickedmond/Legan grabbed a goal through substitute Glen Watson. Points were then traded between Ciaran Donohoe and Patrick Farrell before Seamus McCormack got his second point of the game in the 48th minute.

Carrickedmond/Legan were now trailing by 17 points but in the closing stages of the game they won a few battles in getting some consolation scores. Patrick Farrell got his second point in the 54th minute before Dara Flynn landed a fine point. Wing backs Sean Kelly and Sean Doherty then hit over excellent points.

In stoppage time Seamus McCormack added another point to Killoe’s emphatic tally while Ronan Hughes fired over a free right at the end for Carrickemond/Legan who were well beaten by a superior side.

KILLOE EMMET OG: Shane Fitzpatrick; Shane Tully, Cian Farrelly, Fergal O’Donnell; Ryan Moffatt, John Lynch, Shane Clarke; Paddy Thompson (1-0), Paddy Kiernan; Darren Kelly (1-0), Ciaran Donohoe (0-2), Jamie King (0-2); Larry Moran (2-2, 1 free), Liam Hughes, Seamus McCormack (1-3).

Subs:- Darragh Gilna for S Clarke (injured, 42 mins); Paul Conway for L Moran (46 mins); Tommy Griffin for D Kelly (46 mins); Michael Hughes for S Fitzpatrick (52 mins); Shane Conway for F O’Donnell (52 mins).

CARRICKEDMOND/LEGAN: Garret Higgins; Peter Egan, Rioch Farrell, Kevin Moran; Sean Doherty (0-1), Niall O’Farrell, Sean Kelly (0-2); Patrick Farrell (0-2), Barry O’Farrell; Ronan Hughes (0-1, free), Conor Kelly (0-1), Dara Flynn (0-1); Dillon Boylan, David Shannon, Patrick Egan.

Subs:- Glen Watson (1-0) for G Higgins (injured, 28 mins); Mick Dooley for D Boylan (48 mins).

Referee: Tony Gaffney (Mostrim).