Killoe demolish Navan O’Mahony’s

Leinster club SFC Quarter Final: Killoe demolish O’Mahonys

Killoe (Longford) 2-13
O”Mahonys (Meath) 0-8

Report from Irish Independent

Longford champions Killoe Emmet Óg scored an emphatic and deserved win over fancied Meath kingpins Navan O’Mahonys in this AIB Leinster Club SFC quarter-final at Pearse Park on Sunday. Tommy McCormack’s charges have a semi-final trip to Portlaoise on Sunday week to anticipate after the defying the odds with a display of admirable intensity.

It was something O’Mahonys failed to match. Davy Nelson’s men led only briefly in the first-half when it was apparent they were having difficulty in staying with the team in white and green. Goals from Simon Kiernan and All-Star nominee Michael Quinn in quick succession with minutes of the resumption settled the issue and the left the board reading 2-7 to 0-4 with 33 minutes gone. Eight different players got off the mark, from play, for Killoe including centre-half-back and team captain Joe McCormack. O’Mahonys only managed one point from play after the break with Shane Gillespie registering. Stephen Bray and Jake Regan were the Navan men’s other second-half scorers.

The closest O’Mahonys came to goaling was when substitute David Bray’s attempt was blocked by Padraig McCormack. Due credit goes to the vigilant Killoe rearguard who gave the Meath men few chances to raise the green flag. Good approach play ended with an early O’Mahonys wide. Killoe hit back with a pointed 45 from All-Star nominee Michael Quinn.

Killoe doubled their advantage through Sean McCormack (free) before Jake Regan opened the O’Mahonys account in the sixth minute. Killoe’s Sean McCormack was wide with two scoreable frees before O’Mahonys hit the front through Jake Regan, 0-3 to 0-2, with barely 12 minutes gone. A Eugene Clarke effort from play left it 0-3 each by the end of the third quarter. Mark Hughes had the ‘home’ side back in front in the 17th minute. Sean McCormack found the range found the range to double Killoe’s advantage. Stephen Bray opened his account with O’Mahonys fourth score from play. By the 27th minute Killoe were three points, 0-7 to 0-4, to the good when Denis McGoldrick registered.

It could have been better seconds later for the Longford-men but Eugene Clarke was badly wide. Killoe’s intensity was rewarded with a 0-7 to 0-4 interval advantage and the prospect of maintaining that after the change of ends. Within two minutes of the restart, Killoe doubled their advantage when Simon Kiernan fisted Sean McCormack’s delivery to the net.

Killoe might light of their outsider tag when wing-back Michael Quinn pounced on Gary O’Brien’s misplaced pass and left it 2-7 to 0-4. Ten points were between the sides when Ronan McGoldrick sent over. Killoe outscored O’Mahonys by 0-5 to 0-4 in the time remaining and registered the last three scores of the game.

Killoe – C. Burns; D. Bennett, P. McCormack, D. Keogh; S. Dowd, J. McCormack, M. Quinn (1-1, 0-1 45); P. Thompson, S. Kiernan (1-0); D. McGoldrick (0-2), R. McGoldrick (0-3), D. Mimnagh; E. Clarke (0-1), M. Hughes (0-1), S. McCormack (0-4, 2f). Subs – R. Keogh for Dowd (39).\

O’Mahonys – M. Brennan; S. O’Toole, N. McKeigue, I. Matthews; B. Dillon, S. Crosby, G. O’Brien; D. Moran, C. McGuinness; P. Smyth (0-1), H. Finnegan, S. MacGabhann; J. Regan (0-3, 1f), S. Bray (0-3, 2fs)), S. Gillespie (0-1). Subs – D. Bray for Finnegan, S. Keating for Dillon (both ht), B. Regan for Moran (38), C. Reilly for MacGabhann (44), D. Smyth for J. Regan (51).

Referee – G. McCormack (Dublin)