Juniors through to Championship Final

Killoe Emmet Og 0-10, Carrickedmond 0-7

Deniese O’Flaherty reporting for Longford Leader

Three late points without reply clinched the win for the Killoe juniors who overcame the challenge of the Carrickedmond second string in the ‘A’ Championship semi-final at Pearse Park on Sunday last.

Killoe had been in front throughout the game but Carrickedmond fought back to level matters in the 55th minute and indeed they had wasted a few chances before that to get the vital scores on the board.

The momentum seemed to be with Carrick but they couldn’t get the score that put them ahead. Four minutes from time a good point from Sean Maguire edged Killoe back in front. Maguire added another one two minutes later before substitute Colm Devaney got the final score in the 60th minute.

Killoe made a bright start to the game and hit over the opening three points; in the second minute Ger Carberry passed to John Conlon but his shot was tipped over the crossbar by Carrick full-back Shane Mulvey.

David Mimnagh hit over a free two minutes later before Sean Maguire landed his first point in the seventh minute.

Carrick cut the gap to two by the 12th minute with a well-taken free from Keith McGuire and a good point from Robbie Harrison but points from Sean Maguire and Frank Kiernan restored Killoe’s three point advantage by the 16th minute.

In the 18th minute John Lenehan had a goal chance for Carrickedmond in but Killoe keeper Thomas Quinn pushed the effort out for a ’45. In the 24th minute Ger Carberry’s hit the crossbar and then a shot from Carrick player Ronan Hughes came off the butt of the post.

Carberry put four between the sides in the 25th minute and Carrick wasted a lot of chances before John Lenehan fired the ball over the bar in the 29th minute. There was two between them at the break, 0-6 to 0-4, when Keith McGuire converted another free.

Both sides were guilty of kicking poor wides in the opening stages of the second half and the next score did not materialise until the 43rd minute when Carrickedmond keeper David Shannon pointed a ’45. Sean Maguire replied for Killoe before Carrick enjoyed a good spell and levelled the game with points from John Lenehan and Keith McGuire.

But Killoe finished the game strongly with three points in a row to clinch their place in the county junior final against neighbouring rivals Longford Slashers.

KILLOE EMMET OG: Thomas Quinn; James Hughes, Shane Doherty, Franklin O’Reilly; Thomas Brady, Ciaran Keogh, Padraig O’Reilly; Rory Cullen, Frank Kiernan (0-1); Ger Carberry (0-1), Gary Connell, Darren Kelly; David Mimnagh (0-1, free), Sean Maguire (0-5), John Conlon (0-1).

Subs:- David Kiernan for P O’Reilly (injured, 5 mins); Thomas Donohoe for F Kiernan (half-time); Colm Devaney (0-1) for D Kelly (44mins)

CARRICKEDMOND: David Shannon (0-1,’45); Paul McDonnell, Shane Mulvey, Peter Egan; Sean Doherty, Kevin Moran, Sean Kelly; Padraig Conway, Tommy Cummins; Ronan Hughes, Robbie Harrison (0-1), John Lenehan (0-2); Keith McGuire (0-3, 3 frees), John O’Rourke, Paul McGuire.

Subs:- Dermot McCormack for J O’Rourke (23 mins); Tommy Martin for P Egan (35 mins); Ollie Rogers for R Hughes (48 mins); Mel Yorke for R Harrison (54 mins).

Referee: Tony Gaffney (Mostrim).