Historic 1st win in Leinster

Irish Times newspaper – 28th October 2012

Killoe Young Emmets 2-7, St Anne’s (Wexford) 2-4

Just A week after winning the Longford title following a replay win after extra-time against Slashers, Killoe Young Emmets showed some great fighting spirit to get the better of Wexford opponents St Anne’s in the Leinster club first round clash at Glennon Brothers Pearse Park on Sunday.

Seán McCormack fired home a cracking match-winning goal midway through the second half.

Killoe had the advantage of the elements in the first half and thanks to a well-taken goal from midfielder Paddy Thompson in the 26th minute they led 1-4 to 0-3 at the break.

A terrific start to the second half yielded a point apiece from Seán McCormack (free) and Daniel Mimnagh to leave Young Emmets in a strong position but St Anne’s were thrown a lifeline in the 40th minute with a goal from substitute Francis Simpson who got a vital touch to a centre from Redmond Barry to find the net.

While Killoe defender Shane Dowd lifted the pressure in landing a fine point, the Longford champions suffered what appeared to be a severe setback in the 44th minute when St Anne’s were gifted a second goal in getting back on level terms.

After a shot from substitute Simpson was well saved by the Young Emmets keeper Cillian Burns, the breaking ball rebounded off the unfortunate Killoe defender Pádraig McCormack into the back of the net.

But Killoe hit back immediately with a classy goal from Seán McCormack, the end result of a wonderful move and that proved to be the last score of the game as Young Emmets held on to earn another home tie against the Meath champions in two weeks’ time.

KILLOE YOUNG EMMETS: C Burns; D Bennett, P McCormack, R Keogh; S Dowd (0-1), J McCormack, M Quinn; P Thompson (1-0), S Kiernan; D McGoldrick (0-1), R McGoldrick, E Clarke; D Mimnagh (0-1), M Hughes (0-1), S McCormack (1-3, two frees). Sub: P Hughes for D McGoldrick (50).

ST ANNE’S: S Mythen; S Gaule, T Cullen, P OKeeffe; J Fogarty, C McGovern, K Cloney; D Fogarty, D OConnor; F Whelan, P White, D O’Keeffe; L McGovern, R Barry (0-4, three frees), M Furlong. Subs: F Simpson (1-0) for M Furlong (ht); N Gilbane for F Whelan (40).

Referee: D Brazil (Offaly).